In this article, you will get all the information regarding Man v Food star Adam Richman says he almost DIED after his mustache follicle contracted deadly MRSA – Sound Health and Lasting Wealth
Man v Food star Adam Richman has revealed that he contracted the deadly MRSA infection from a mustache follicle – and that he almost died from the bug.
The famous foodie, 47, said that he noticed that there was something wrong at a Michelin event in Zurich in 2018.
He revealed that he noticed a pimple-like growth on his follicle which did not go away – and that his lip eventually inflated like a banana.
Shock: Man v Food star Adam Richman suffered a deadly MRSA infection from a mustache follicle which left him needing surgery and almost dying.
‘One of my mustache follicles just looked like a pimple and it was just not healing well,’ he told podcast Celebrity Catch Up: Life After That Thing I Did.
‘I’d gone to a doctor and then eventually my lip inflated like a banana – it was grotesque. I remember I went to tear a piece of medical tape and I couldn’t get to my teeth.’
The star had to be quarantined and needed surgery and ‘serious courses of antibiotics’ to help tackle and clear out the infection.
Touch and go: The 47 year old needed surgery to tackle the antibiotic resistant infection and almost died.
‘I found out from maxillofacial surgeons that the area from the inside of your eyes to the outer corner of your lips, they call it the ‘danger triangle’ because there are multiple opportunities for a surface infection to go intracranial.’
It’s still not known how the food lover caught the infection: ‘The doctor said it could have been anything from a water glass to a hotel towel, shaking someone’s hand and then invariably [touching my face]. There’s any number of ways.
‘At the moment, it never felt like ‘you’re going to die’ – it was never something that they posited, but it was always sort of understood. I think they didn’t want to freak me out.’
WHAT IS MRSA?
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a type of bacteria that is resistant to several widely-used antibiotics, which makes it particularly difficult to treat.
Catching the infection early could prevent it from spreading and infecting others.
Approximately 30 percent of people carry the Staphylococcus aureus bacteria even in their nose, armpits, groin or buttocks without realizing it.
This can invade the body’s bloodstream and release poisonous toxins that kill up to one-fifth of infected patients.
MRSA is most commonly associated with hospitals.
The star said the incident made him confront his own mortality and gave him a guiding principle: ‘Gratitude is the attitude because fate, God, disease, the higher power of your choice can take it away just like that. Every day above ground is a gift.’
After four years of taking on extreme eating challenges, from slurping down two-gallon sundaes to devouring 190-pound burgers, the Brooklyn native quit the show that made his name.
Concerned about his health and non-existent love life, he retired from the show, embarked on a healthy eating plan and exercise regime, and quickly managed to lose 60lbs off his six foot frame.
Quits: After four years of taking on extreme eating challenges, the 47-year-old Brooklyn native quit the show that made his name in 2018.
Source: | Dailymail.co.uk
Man v Food star Adam Richman says he almost DIED after his mustache follicle contracted deadly MRSA – Sound Health and Lasting Wealth
Latest News by IlmHunt.com